October 31, 2014

We Take Dealing Seriously … But We Still Have Fun

AS CORPORATE VICE President of Table Games I have a lot to deal with in my job.

OK, this is my first time blogging and that was my first (and maybe last) attempt at a witty pun. It does, however, lead me into the topic at hand and a job responsibility of mine I take quite personally: Our Dealers.

In a word, we take the job of dealer at Station and Fiesta Casinos – from the Craps dealer at Red Rock Resort, to the Blackjack dealer at Sunset Station, to the Poker Room dealer at Texas Station – seriously … but not, too, seriously … here’s what I mean:

Our newly hired dealers receive two full shifts (16 hours) of training before they go on a live game. This allows them to learn the Station Casinos’ guest service standards and learn how to deal the games “The Stations” way.

For me, our dealers should interact with our guests and create a fun atmosphere while maintaining a pleasant game pace and accuracy on the game. Characteristics of a good dealer include being friendly, enthusiastic, respectful and outgoing. A good dealer is a team player, works on technical skills, and exhibits a positive attitude. Conversely, bad dealer characteristics include a rude, disrespectful, disinterested attitude, unfriendly or not outgoing, a person unwilling to work hard to develop his or her technical skills.

In short, “The Stations” way of dealing aims to treat you like family, and it’s my job, in part, to ensure this gaming environment at our tables.

Is this the experience you are having while playing our table games? In your experience, what makes a good dealer? Do you have a favorite dealer at one of our casinos? I would love to hear from you. Go ahead, your deal…

The featured blogger for this post is Station Casinos Vice President of Corporate Table Games Jim Ward.

Comments

1. PAT FORD says:

IM A PRO AT CRAPS PAT FORD 5627560485

2. Sara Coburn says:

The dealers are part of the reason why Stations are our preferred casinos. From 2008 until 2010, I was in Vegas several times a month for my job. I normally stayed at Red Rock. The dealers there made me feel welcome, safe and at home. I was always happy to finish my work day and then get to the tables to get to talk to my “friends”. Some of these dealers are now close, personal friends. Thankfully, we now live in Henderson so we get to enjoy the hospitality of Station Casinos whenever we want!

3. Steve langley says:

Too bad this wasn’t in regards to poker dealers.

That being said, here is my pet peeve with some of the dealer “types”. I would say Stations avoid this compared to other properties but I am SICK of the female dealers who got the job mostly due to appearance. Yes it is nice, however, so is being competent. The immaturity some display I guess works on those who like to view eye candy and maybe the dopes who think they have a shot with them once their shift end, but it gets old real soon in my world. I love to have dealers that are nice and friendly. The phoniness used in order to secure larger tips always makes me leave. Any dealer can have a bad day, so I can cut anybody slack.

I guess incompetence would be my biggest beef. It’s up to the supervisors to do their jobs and insure that standards (as long as they are truly known) are being met.

• jimstations says:

Agreed Steve, have to be (at least) competent first or nothing else really matters, not to mention other potential problems. For me, this goes for all our dealers, so Poker included. I appreciate your perspective. Do you play live poker with us, which room?

4. Dan Thompson says:

So, so glad I came across your blog. My wife and I first came to your casino, Boulder Station, on Juiy 4, 2010 at the recommendation of a fellow craps player and we love it. All of your dealers are friendly, nice, joke with you and our extremely competent and know their jobs. Some of their names that I know are Rob, John, Joe, Mel and Tuan. I’ve got to say – they are really friendly and part of the reason we keep coming back to your casino. They could teach dealers at a strip hotel much about customer service. They recognize us, welcome us, help us with any bets we want to make. John jokes with us and has been exceptionally friendly from the first time we played. We’ve ran into him after he was off work one night and he was extremely nice and chatted with us. Rob and Joe are great – always helpful and nice. Mel and Tuan are helpful, too. Really, I wish I could write them all letters of recommendation. They are all great assets to your company.

Thanks – see you next time!

Dan

• jimstations says:

Thanks so much for the compliments Dan. I know the gang over at Boulder appreciates it and I will be sure to pass along.

5. Randall Powers says:

Sir, I am getting out the Army in 45 days and I recently bought a house in Henderson and was wondering what was the best way to get a job in the poker dealing business? Should I apply at a Casino or go to a dealer school like Tonys Poker School located in LV. I’m very serious about being a deal with a can’t miss personality and i’m just trying to figure out what’s the best way to skin this cat. Thanks alot
    v/r
    Randall

• jimstations says:

Hi Randall, you’re on the right track, 1) go to the school for the 30 or 40 or 50 days of the instructional classes 2) then, as soon as completed, apply online at the property you want to work. As you probably already expect, you will have to work your way up to a more premium property over time but experience definitely helps and your military experience is also a plus. Here’s the link to jobs at Station Casinos: http://www.stationcasinos.com/corp/careers/ … thanks and good luck.

6. Mike says:

I was reading through this blog and just wanted to say that I really like the fact that Station puts a lot of effort into their dealers. As someone who is starting dealing school tomorrow and hoping to audition at one of these properties immediately after “graduating,” It’s nice to see how committed upper management is to making sure their guys are the best.

• jimstations says:

thanks for the comment Mike, good luck in school, sure you’ll do fine, and maybe we’ll see you down the road

Trackbacks

1. [...] maintaining a pleasant game pace & accuracy, blogs the VP of Tables Games at Station Casinos.Via blog.stationcasinos.com   Posted by admin in Uncategorized SHARE THIS : This Seems Useful!! Help Us To [...]

2. [...] Via Scoop.it – GamingNewsOur dealers should interact with our guests & create a fun atmosphere while maintaining a pleasant game pace & accuracy, blogs the VP of Tables Games at Station Casinos.Via blog.stationcasinos.com [...]