It’s cold outside, so Chef Dirk warms things up this week with a recipe for spicy-as-you-want-it-to-be Picadillo Soup.
- 1 ½ lb. cooked taco meat (make your favorite taco meat from )
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen green beans (diced)
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup potatoes
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 TBL olive oil
- 1 TBL minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 TBL chili powder
- 2 15oz cans diced tomatoes
- 3 qt chicken stock
- Cook taco meat as you would tacos.
- In a large stock pot, sauté the carrots, celery and onions in the olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper, bring to a simmer.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Adjust the seasonings by adding more salt and pepper or more chili powder for a spicy soup.
Makes 1 gallon.
View more of Chef Dirk’s recipes
Get information on Restaurants at Station Casinos
Have a comment or question for our executive chef? Let us know below!