HORMONES, WHILE ABSOLUTELY necessary to keep our bodies functioning properly are sometimes the skin’s greatest challenge. Think of hormones as the Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz of skin care, seemingly daunting but once you draw back the curtain you find it is a force you can indeed control. Hormones are responsible for a great deal of teenage acne (and angst,) as well as premenstrual acne, menopausal skin issues such as dryness and loss of elasticity, and a whole host of changes to the skin during and after pregnancy. Balancing hormones is indeed overwhelming, but not impossible. After all, we have the brains, heart and courage to regain power, not to mention a really helpful list of tips below that will make hormonal harmony as easy as tapping your ruby slippers three times.
- Calm the internal imbalance: Acne which is caused by hormones is often unresponsive to topical treatments alone. Birth control is optimal for women under 35. A more natural option is adding soy to your diet. Soy contains plant estrogens which help to correct imbalances. Try switching from cow’s milk to soy milk in your cereal.
- Choose your weapons wisely: For teenage skin, high percentages of salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide are appropriate, however for older skin, look for lower percentages as well as formulas that hydrate and treat breakouts. Always check ingredients before using them during pregnancy and nursing. Salicylic acid, Accutane, and retina A is not recommended during pregnancy. Benzoyl peroxide is off limits for the first trimester. For menopause, a hydrating and firming cream combats the loss of estrogen.
- After the storm has passed: Hormones have a way of marking their territory. After peace has been declared, changing up skin care by adding more aggressive treatments often clear the skin of scarring, melasma (AKA pregnancy mask) and sagging. Resurfacing treatments such as microdermabrasion and chemical peels trigger the skin to renew itself, which can clear away the remnants. Always wait until after pregnancy and nursing to undergo these treatments.
If hormones are the Wizard of Oz, certainly stretch marks are the wicked witch. Affecting about 75% of women during pregnancy it may seem inevitable that motherhood not only leaves its mark on your heart, but also on your body. Don’t be too discouraged. Prevention is key to keeping elasticity in good shape. Gaining weight gradually and drinking lots of water helps, but keeping skin hydrated and nourished from the moment you discover the growing miracle up until her birthday is the best way to keep from receiving a gift you didn’t register for.
Make your appointment with one of our skin experts!
Visit the Red Rock Spa page or book your Spa appointment today at 702.797.7878.
Products With Purpose
- For Stretch-Mark Prevention: Try the body soufflé from our new Moroccanoil body line.
- WHY IT ROCKS: This rich balm is loaded with shea butter and argan oil to replenish skins hydration and protect skin’s elasticity from the stress of the beautiful expansion. Sadly, shopping for maternity clothes will still be quite shocking (sorry ladies.) Slather on this decadent cream morning and night for best results.
- For Breakouts During Pregnancy: Advanced acne treatment by Hylunia.
- WHY IT ROCKS: Hylunia’s entire line is paraben and sulfate free, and uses a formulation of natural fruit acids to keep pores free of debris. Skin looks radiant while keeping your bump safe from harsh toxic ingredients. For those not expecting (and gentlemen) try Epicurean’s Acne wash, Benzoyl Peroxide scrub and Acne Spot treatment. Loaded with bacteria fighting ingredients this product trio leaves nowhere for acne to hide.
- For the Effects of Menopause: Dehydration, loss of collagen and the breakdown of elasticity are the unfortunate hallmarks due to the shift in hormones caused by menopause. Fortunately, they are no match for Epicurean’s ultimate age busting duo: Pro Collagen Serum and Instant Lift.
- WHY IT ROCKS: Pro collagen serum plumps up the skin while Instant lift diminishes fine lines and wrinkles instantly! For an even more potent effect layer serums on top of Epicurean’s cult favorite Protein Treatment! Skin will be youthful in minutes making the change of life a bit more bearable.
- Mommy-To-Be Facial: Soak up the relaxation during this chemical free facial, which promises to leave skin energized and polished without harsh the fragrance and irritants.
Check out our upcoming issue where we reveal our newest skin care line and anti-aging treatment. Vie by Phytomeris known as the topical botox due to its dramatic results! Keep a look out for more information on this and other things that rock at the Red Rock Spa
The Spa at Red Rock Resort